Friday, June 29, 2012

Annie's Star Quilt Guild, Chico, California

May 3-6, 2012

Annie's Star Quilt Guild, located in sunny Chico, California has asked me to give a lecture to their guild and teach a thread painting class.  It was pouring rain when I left Portland, and the funny thing was that it was also pouring in Sacramento when I landed and was standing on the tarmac waiting for my luggage.  The weather soon improved as I drove north to Chico.  Before the guild meeting, I was joined by eight guild members at a Chinese restaurant called Tandorni.  I can't remember the last time I've had such wonderful Chinese food!

The guild members were very enthusiastic and attentive as I recounted my quilting journey.  Afterwards, during show-and-tell, a guild member named Grace showed her version of my Honu Orchid quilt.  It was absolutely beautiful and wonderfully executed and I'm so thankful to Grace for bringing it so I could see it.  Thank you, Grace!


Congrats on a wonderful Honu Orchid, Grace!!

I saw some other amazing works during Show and Tell:




While in Chico, I'm staying at a beautiful bed and breakfast called The Grateful Bed.  This gracious Victorian home was originally built in 1905 and lovingly restored in 1998 by Rick and Carol Turner.  They furnished the home with antiques, fine linens, and timeless treasures.  My suite, called Bed Thyme, features a claw-footed tub and a pull-chain commode in the private bathroom.  Quite a step back in time!  Breakfast starts with a baked apple stuffed with walnuts and cranberries and proceeds to luscious blueberry pancakes with hot maple syrup and apple-smoked bacon.  What a way to start the day!!


A flower bed in the back yard of The Grateful Bed.....LOL!!!


The Thread Painting class is being held at Cathy's Sew and Vac.  This store sells Bernina, Brother, Janome, Juki, and even Singer Featherweight sewing machines, along with vacuum cleaners.  They also have a large selection of thread and a quilt store in one corner called Honey Run.  This shop features over 5,000 bolts of fabric that include a large selection of Bali, Civil War reproductions, Kaffe, voile, silk blends, and wool.



Since this is a two-day Thread Painting class, I spend time in the morning discussing thread and machine needles.  We then get started on quilting the background behind the heron, and the moon.  Class is over the first day before we know it!


Sue and Karen take me to dinner at the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, a local microbrewery that is packed with people - for good reason.  Not only is the beer excellent (mine offered subtle hints of banana and cloves) by my Thai Shrimp Curry was outstanding!

The next day, students continue working on their Great Blue Herons and it seems class is over too quickly.  I say a sad farewell to Annie's Star Quilt Guild - but not before trying to talk Grace into accompanying me to Modesto!!



Sunday is a travel day as I drive back to the Sacramento Airport and am met by Janet Borst, who then drives me to Modesto.  Then it's on to my next quilting adventure......

No comments:

Post a Comment