Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Common Thread

January 15, 2012

This afternoon I was asked to give a lecture about my quilting journey at A Common Thread, a great quilt shop located in south Portland.  When I woke up this morning, there was a question in my mind whether or not the lecture was actually going to happen.  The first real winter weather of the season arrived this weekend in the form of snow.  Beautiful snowflakes were falling this morning when I woke up.  They weren't sticking yet, and the temperature warmed up enough that the snow sputtered on and off all morning.  Before leaving the house, I called the quilt shop to see how the weather was their way and was told the roads were clear. 

The drive down was clear and uneventful until about five miles from the store.  Then the sputtering snow got serious, and by the time I reached the store, the snow was coming down so hard you couldn't see across the parking lot.  Luckily, the snow didn't last too long and there were almost 40 hardy souls who weathered the roads to attend the lecture.

One advantage to driving to a lecture is that I can bring more quilts with me than if I'm flying somewhere.  So, I showed about 30 pieces - from larger wall hangings to small thread painted pieces. Everyone was very enthusiastic and asked lots of questions during the lecture.  I'm coming back to A Common Thread to teach a Currents class on April 27, and a Thread Duets class on April 28 and 29. 


The Currents pattern looks wonderful in blues, but it also makes a great fire in reds and oranges.

One side of a Thread Duets quilt......

....and the other side of the same piece.

The Thread Duets class is a design class where we will discuss color relationships, proportions and the Divine Phi, line, composition, and how to make the piece two-sided.  No patterns will be used - students will create their own, unique fiber art piece.  I hope you'll be able to join us for these classes!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Barbara,
    Is there a pattern available to purchase for The Currents Quilt?
    Diane

    ReplyDelete